Client Assistance Program

What is the Client Assistance Program (CAP)?

CAP assists with matters related to Employment and Independent Living Services

For many individuals with disabilities, two important factors of living independently are employment and Independent Living services.  Finding, gaining, and retaining a career can be difficult for anyone, especially individuals with disabilities. Fortunately, there are programs in NH that can assist individuals with disabilities in these matters.  NH Vocational Rehabilitation (NHVR) offers many services to assist people with disabilities in finding and keeping employment.  NH’s Center for Independent Living (CIL), Granite State Independent Living (GSIL), also provides assistance with employment, as well as Independent Living services such as skills training, information & referral, and systems & individual advocacy.  The Client Assistance Program (CAP) was established by the federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. Every state has one. In NH the CAP is housed at the NH Governor’s Commission on Disability (GCD).  


The CAP serves as an ombudsman between NHVR or GSIL and consumers, and provides support regarding the protections provided for workers with disabilities by Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).  The CAP can assist you in the following ways:

  • Give information and guidance
  • Inform you of your rights and responsibilities
  • Assist and Attend meetings
  • Research and clarify policy, job accommodations, resources
  • Provide mediation
  • Represent you at fair hearings


If you need any assistance with Vocational Rehabilitation services, Independent Living services, employment, or Title I of the ADA, you can contact the CAP at or 603-271-2773.



The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended by title VI of WIO: